Thursday 29 May 2014

I have nothing to complain about











Lordy. Rupert Everett is 55 years old today.

I had a major crush on him when his career first launched, with Another Country in 1984 - when he and I were both mere babes. I watched with horror how the beauteous ingénue began being subsumed in the morass of Hollywood (with its penchant for Botox and B-movie roles), then breathed a sigh of relief when his savage self-destructiveness propelled him double-quick back out again.

It didn't exactly help matters when he announced on daytime TV in America - land of the hypocritical "new puritans" - how his student days were supplemented by prostitution; nor did his tirade of celebrity slaggings-off in his autobiography Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins assist his safe passage. It was probably unwise to describe former "BFF" Queen Madge as a "whiny old barmaid" who played with her boyfriend's penis in public...

I thought it was brilliant, actually - and I admire Mr Everett for being such a wonderful old-school rebellious bitch.

He's settled more-or-less into a life of stage stardom and cerebral documentary-presenting roles these days, and we certainly don't see enough of him.

And yes. I still would.

But he's still full of surprises - who even knew he sang?!


(...after a fashion.)

"I'm a gay man who came from the last years of illegality. That focused my whole character. I think it focused everyone's character in a way. You saw yourself as outside of the main structure."

"Being gay and being a woman has one big thing in common, which is that we both become invisible after the age of 42. Who wants a gay 50-year-old? No one, let me tell you."

"These awful middle-class queens - which is what the gay movement has become - are so tiresome. It's all Abercrombie & Fitch and strollers."

“I have nothing to complain about... except maybe people wondering if a queen like me can be butch-it-up enough to play a convincing straight man.”

"You're not allowed to be an eccentric in the world, you have to fit in."


Rupert James Hector Everett (born 29th May 1959)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Having come face-to-face with "that" uplift (at the stage door for "Pygmalion"), I can vouch for the fact he is scary. Yet still sexy. Jx

      Delete
  2. He always seemed like the type to make fun of you in the school halls for having the wrong kind of shoes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, hadn't seen one of those pictures before … I've led such a sheltered life … very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly does have nothing to complain about! Jx

      Delete
  4. He really did let himself get taken in by the old Razzle Dazzle. So wish he had left his visage hands off, but we're now left to take in that mask. He could have worked a few craggles. I think.

    Maybe like some actors he'll age into the work he's had done.

    He first pinged my radar in 1984 as well.

    I've always appreciated his droll wit. And loved that it came in such a pretty package.

    I'm not far behind him in the age game, but being such a poor man, I'll have to live with the face I got.

    Anyway, Happy Birthday to R. ( and love, love, love your blog. )




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup, my dear!

      It is indeed unfortunate how Mr Everett's beauty was sullied somewhat by the efforts of the surgeons/needle-wielders. However, as you say, he will probably grow into it dis-gracefully... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]