Monday 1 July 2013

I’ve always thought of myself as in my 20s, because that’s how I feel



“My mother told me that you always think of yourself as being young. And I think I’ve always thought of myself as in my 20s, because that’s how I feel. Like I’m still the same old idiot that I always was."

Many happy returns to a true icon and inspiration - Miss Debbie Harry, who blows out 68 candles on her cake today!

I have written many, many times about my love for the woman, so suffice to say "Happy Birthday Debs!" and on with the music...

By way of celebration, here is the lady's first solo outing, released in 1981 at a time when Blondie (and the lady herself) was heading inexorably towards meltdown. Produced by the "man of the moment" Nile Rodgers and the late, great Bernard Edwards of Chic, and with a video directed by HR Giger (the man who styled the classic Alien films), it should have been a far bigger hit than it was (it peaked at #32 in the UK, and #43 in the US) - it's Backfired:


Blondie will appear again at the Kew The Music festival (with Hugh Cornwell) on 9th July 2013. Also appearing at the festival are The Human League, Howard Jones, Paul Weller, Jools Holland, Gilson Lavis, Louise Marshall, Roland Gift, Leona Lewis, Bellowhead, and Billy Bragg.

Read an excellent interview with Miss Harry in Fabulous magazine last month

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]