Wednesday 19 June 2013

The most culturally barren century since the Dark Ages



The current state of popular music. Discuss.
Two decades have officially passed since people knew what was at the top of the charts.

The last commonly-recognised ‘Number One’ was Ace Of Base’s All That She Wants in June 1993.

Professor Henry Brubaker of the Institute for Studies said: “Time was when not knowing what was number one was like not knowing it was raining.

“Nowadays it could be any maniac with a large, supportive family and an iTunes account. Last year 43-year-old Roy Hobbs topped the charts with a bossa nova track about igneous rock.

Plasterer Stephen Malley was number one for 105 consecutive weeks between 2007 and 2009 with a song about dogs, called Dogs."


However, this could not guarantee Malley a table at his local Pizza Express during busy periods.

He said: “I’m the modern king of pop, my single’s sold almost 6,000 fucking copies! But the only blowjob I’ve had is one that I paid for, and it cost me my entire Spotify royalty cheque.”

Professor Brubaker said: “Mr Malley shouldn’t take it personally. It’s not his fault we’re living in the most culturally barren century since the Dark Ages.”
The Daily Mash is spot on. Again!


Ace of Base

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely spot on! I barely know what crap gets to number #1 these days - and considering that a very large part of RECORD buying music fans can't really buy physicals anymore only means that the charts are mostly dominated by teens.

    That said: I do enjoy me some Ace Of Base every now and then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look it up. Apparently at Number 1 this week is someone called "Thicke". Says a lot, really.

      Jx

      Delete
    2. That's still number one??? Yuck, no wonder I don't really follow the singles chart anymore...

      Delete
  2. i imagine our ancestors waving goodbye to their
    conestoga wagons as the Model Ts barreled into town.

    getting old is hideous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Age is a very high price to pay for maturity." - Tom Stoppard.

      Jx

      Delete
  3. I'd say most people knew Candle in the Wind 97 was number 1 ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but could you dance like a Dad to it? Jx

      Delete
    2. There have been quite a few tracks since "All That She Wants" that I think people were generally aware of being #1. "Candle In The Wind", "Music", "Can't Get You Out Of My Head", "Believe" etc. I think the trend did start in the mid 90s, but really started to escalate in the early years of the last decade - with no end in sight.

      Such a shame - the UK charts were always a lot of fun!

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]