Tuesday 25 June 2013

And yes, I've been bad



Fabulous at 50 - and in the middle of our Gay Pride countdown here at Dolores Delargo Towers, too - it's everyone's favourite driving instructor Mr Georgios Kyriacos Panagiòtou, better known (of course) as George Michael!

From lowly beginnings among the Cypriot restaurants of Finchley, North London, to multi-million-selling singer and Very Rich Man Indeed, our Georgios is rarely away from the headlines (unfortunately lately for all the wrong reasons). However, he is responsible for many, many significant songs in my life, for which I love him - Careless Whisper, A Different Corner, Young Guns, Faith, and, er, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go... and this one.

What else could I play, in this week of all weeks, but Mr Michael's most defiantly gay coming-out number, Outside?


I think I'm done with the sofa
I think I'm done with the hall
I think I'm done with the kitchen table, baby

Let's go outside (let's go outside) in the sunshine
I know you want to, but you can't say yeah
Let's go outside in the moonshine
Take me to the places that I love best

So my angel, she says, don't you worry
'bout the things they're saying, yeah
Got no friends in high places and the game that you gave away
wasn't worth playing

Let's go outside in the sunshine
I know you want to, but you can't say yeah
Let's go outside in the meantime
Take me to the places that I love best

And yes, I've been bad
Doctor, won't you do with me what you can
You see I think about it all the time, twenty-four seven
(Twenty- four, twenty-four seven)

You say you want it, you got it
I never really said it before
There's nothing here, but flesh and bone
There's nothing more, nothing more
There's nothing more, oh, oh, oh

Back to nature, just human nature
Getting on back to -

I think I'm done with the sofa
I think I'm done with the hall
I think I'm done with the kitchen table, baby

Let's go outside in the sunshine
I know you want to, but you can't say yeah
Let's go outside in the moonshine
Take me to the places that I love best

And yes, I've been bad
Doctor, won't you do with me what you can
you see I think about it all the time
I'd service the community but I already have you see
I never really said it before

There's nothing here, but flesh and bone
There's nothing more, nothing more
There's nothing more
Let's go outside
Dancing on the D-train, baby

(You want it, you got it)
When the moon is high
(You want it, you got it)
And the grass is jumpin'
Come on, just keep on funkin'
(I'm dancing on the D-train)
Keep on funkin', just keep on funkin'
(I'm dancing on the D-train)


Happy, birthday, George!

George Michael official website

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I have always had a love/hate relationship with George. I go through phases where I love most of his stuff, then make sure I don't hear his music for a year or two.

    I did always enjoy Wham, although they could never come close to the likes of Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys and Culture Club. "Faith" and "Listen Without Prejudice" were good albums and "Older" is an absolute masterpiece. I very much enjoyed "Songs From The 20th Century" but after that pretty much everything he released was, well, crap! "Patience" had the fabulous "Amazing" - but nothing else that was really worthwhile. Songs like "Freeek" and "Shoot The Dog" did nothing for me, no the mention the dreadful duets with Mary J Blidge and Whitney Houston. His take on "True Faith" was an abomination, "White Light" was barely a song - I could go on. However, in the middle of all this mediocre stuff he released the most beautiful and heartbreaking song of his career - at least to me - the stunning "December Song".

    He has had a lot of personal troubles and his career is often as frustrating as the one of the genius that is (sometimes) known as Prince. George is incredibly talented and a large part of his musical body of work is truly brilliant - which is why I return to it every now and then, realizing just how good it really is.

    Happy birthday George - may the future bring you some happiness and us more of the the type of music that made the world love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, my dear - and I agree 100%. George has indeed had a somewhat intermittent career - and his personal life is a disaster waiting to happen. But his role in musical history is ssecured thanks to the albums you mention. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]