Sunday 28 October 2012

What's hard is simple, what's natural comes hard



That marvellous mistress of the smoky vocal, the sultry showtune and the scat jazz styling, Dame Cleo Laine celebrates her 85th birthday today!


Dame Cleo and the late Sir John Dankworth

I have featured the lady here before (of course), notably on her 80th, but by way of a fitting tribute today - and a prime example of why we adore her - here is a selection of the divine Miss Laine's interpretations of the work of house fave Mr Stephen Sondheim (a sublime combination that I first posted back in 2010, but are so good they bear repeating):








Buy Cleo Sings Sondheim on Amazon

And finally... What on earth?


Eartha Kitt, Phyllis Diller and Cleo Laine playing cricket!

Quarternotes - the home of Dame Cleo Laine and the late Sir John Dankworth

4 comments:

  1. A treasurable lady - I'm mad for her "Anyone Can Whistle," and I'd even, for her, happily play cricket. Or at least watch while she and Eartha trounce Phyllis...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine who else was involved in that team? Jx

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Cleo!!!

    (I adore that last photo - I still miss Eartha...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - and who'd have thought the great purrer would be a cricket fan? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]