Tuesday 24 July 2012

He doesn't sound fat



As the sunshine has finally hit the UK in spectacular fashion, we can but hope for a prolonged period of sweat and sunbathing - well overdue, I'd say!

Of course, nothing could quite beat the legendary summer of '76, when we had stand-pipes in the streets and months of sunshine. Reflecting that magnificent heatwave, it was in this week 36 years ago that the great Greek Mountain Demis Roussos emerged from obscurity to hit Number 1 with one of the eternal summer anthems...


It always brings back thoughts of Abigail's Party to me!

"Laurence, Angela likes Demis Roussos, Tony likes Demis Roussos, I like Demis Roussos and Sue would like to hear Demis Roussos.

So do you think we could have Demis Roussos on?"

"It's a pity he's so fat.

Yeah, but he doesn't sound it, though, when you hear him."


Demis Roussos

2 comments:

  1. Wow, just the other day I chanced upon one of his video clips! I'd never heard of him before but was entranced because he was wearing a fabulous, flowing robe. AND, believe it or not, usually when I perform I wear one, too! (Although mine are almost always black, and his was white.) I don't know why more people don't do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion in the UK was scarred for life by the appearance of Demis Roussos. I swear that the brief popularity of the kaftan in 1976 was one of the main reasons why punk happened! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]