Saturday 21 April 2012

Le pop nouvelle



It's that time again. On this, official Record Store Day, here is another selection of recent musical efforts that have come to my attention...

Now, I have never watched (and probably will never watch) RuPaul's Drag Race, but when the lovely Kevin (aka KDNA) at The Lisp blog posted this video by the very fierce contestant Manila Luzon, I just had to share! Enjoy some Hot Couture:


Shades of vintage Talking Heads permeate the new single from the synth-goddess Little Boots - and the male vocal sounds suspiciously like the lead singer of Azari & III (see my blogs here and here) so she's keeping up with the latest arrivals on the scene as well. The rather wonderful Every Night I Say A Prayer is released on collectable vinyl for Record Store Day (but in the meantime the Tensnake remix is available to download from Soundcloud):


Paying homage to the Goth/avant garde stylings of the likes of Siouxsie and Roisin Murphy, the enigmatic Miss Charlotte Hatherley aka Sylver Tongue (who I featured here only last month) has a new single Creatures coming out later this year...



On a jollier note, here's a catchy little number called Voodoo from a new Aussie diva wannabee called Giulietta (also available to download from Soundcloud - how do these people make any money?):


Like some manic theme tune to a 60s ITC spy show, Paris 2012 by mysterious French band La Femme, and its accompanying video, is rather brilliant:


And finally, I featured the new Scissor Sisters song Only The Horses (from their forthcoming album Magic Hour) in my last musical round-up - and now they have accompanied the single's release on 13th May with this quite stunning video... Breathtaking!


As ever, enjoy! Let me know your thoughts...

4 comments:

  1. I really like the Scissor Sisters video and song - seeing them live on May 17th - they're always good live in my experience.

    In other news, I have made my first purchases for Pride this year :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw the Sisters live once - at Koko in Camden - and I thought they were utterly brilliant (quelle surprise!)...

      Jx

      PS Pride is looming, and we do need to organise that "dress rehearsal" methinks.

      Delete
  2. drag race is better than you think darling. i mean, how can you not love
    a program when it announces (every week) that they're looking for the one queen with Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! However, my eternal and well-documented aversion to any television "talent" shows (and in fact any kind of "reality TV") means I have (and always probably will) avoided it... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]