Wednesday 22 February 2012

White shoes after Labour Day?!



Obscure connections in history...

On this day in February 1974, America was gripped by one of the weirdest crimes in its history. Heiress Patty Hearst had been kidnapped by the mysterious Symbionese Liberation Army, and her father William Randolph Hearst had agreed to pay a ransom for her release. However, Miss Hearst was not released and instead took part in armed robbery with her kidnappers the SLA, for which she was later jailed.

John Waters (of course) adored the campness that surrounded this odd story and twenty years later, after Miss Hearst was pardoned by President Jimmy Carter, he went on to cast her in several of his films, including the fabulously sick Serial Mom, a movie we love here at Dolores Delargo Towers.

And so here's a clip of that very classic...


Miss Hearst is the one Miss Kathleen Turner murders for "wearing white shoes after Labour Day"!

4 comments:

  1. Serial Mom is one of my all-time favorite comedies. I know...SHOCKER! :) I still chuckle during the telephone scene! Pussywillow Dottie! Yeah I remember the Patti Hearst story well...even though I was an infant! xoxoMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a mere babe in arms when the Patty Hearst story hit the headlines, too... (well, eleven anyhow) But Serial Mom is just such a wonderful film - I can't believe the "white shoes after Labour Day" thing was ever such an issue in America until it came out. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most hilarious films ever made, and a massive fave of mine. Kathleen Turner should have gotten an Oscar for this!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]