Wednesday 7 December 2011

Pop-a-matic



Time once more for some of the newer songs I have discovered recently, that have grabbed my attention...

The BBC has just released the long-list of its annual "Sounds of..." series (a selection of new artists that their "panel of tastemakers" - whatever that may mean - has selected as tipped for success). Of the motley crew of fifteen chosen for 2012, no less than four are rappers and two are "dubstep", which loads the selection in a rather depressing direction. I shan't examine the list in detail as much of it is unlistenable, and I need to hear more of the likes of Lianne La Havas ("soul music" apparently) and Ren Harvieu before I can get into them.

However, of the tracks I have been able to listen to without screaming at the PC, the best of the bunch is by the moody Swedish band Niki and the Dove. The track the Beeb is pushing is over a year old, but rather fab (especially remixed, as here):


Following on from a prospective "Sound of 2012", here's the return of an artist who won the self-same BBC contest back in 2009 - it's the lovely Little Boots:


Speaking of very welcome returns, here with a new single (released earlier in 2011 admittedly) is an old favourite of ours at Dolores Delargo Towers, Miss Mari Wilson!

Miss Wilson just so happens to be a recent new exhibit in the Dolores Delargo Towers Museum of Camp - and, sans beehive, our lady's comeback is ably produced it seems by the rather fab BoiSoundsMusic, whose collaborations with the artist known as Him and the inimitable Dusty O I have previously featured (click the links). The resulting first single O.I.C. is really quite fantabulosa!


Suitably prepared for winter, here's the rather lovely Charlotta Perers aka Big Fox and her new single - anything but boring, I'd say...


And finally, I know I featured the new single from Miss Traci Lords in a recent "Pick of the Pops" post, but that was merely a teaser and is now gone from YouTube - now the splendidly sleazy video for Last Drag has finally been released!

"I kicked that habit, when I kicked your ass out the door!" Indeed...


As always, enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Really like the Mari Wilson song :)

    Not around much this week, out for the next 5 nights too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. See you at Polari next week, then... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]