Tuesday 27 September 2011

Stay forever and ever and ever and ever



On this day TEN YEARS AGO, Miss Kylie Minogue hit Number 1 in the UK charts with the mega-tastic Can't Get You Out Of My Head - the start of a four-week run at the top, and the start of a ten-year obsession here at Dolores Delargo Towers! The song indeed "followed" us wherever we went - holidays, parties, Prides - and up until the advent of All The Lovers, remained the "unofficial anthem" for our gang...

Can't Get You Out Of My Head is a ground-breaking song, often hailed by the critics as Miss Minogue's "finest hour" (although that sort of comment is only usually made by critics whose appreciation of an artist is limited to the singles they released since they themselves became adults), and it has inevitably attracted myriad cover versions by other artists including Tori Amos, Garbage, Brian Molko and Dublin's finest, Jack L.

Here's a selection of other cover versions that I found vaguely diverting - for their inelegant ineptitude at paying "tribute" to the song's greatness as much as anything else...

A fairly pointless version by the amazingly tacky Miss Ami Suzuki, Japan's answer to Katie Price:


A typically soulless (and remarkably flat) version by one of the most over-promoted and least entertaining bands of the last decade, Coldplay:


A should-be-funny-but-is-merely-wry version by some clever people - "Greek Philosophers":


Slightly more classy is this acoustic version by Astrid Swan:


And much more fun is this one by Serbian band 357:


However, nothing and absolutely no-one can possibly beat the original:


All together, now!

La la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la la la la

I just can’t get you out of my head
Boy your loving is all I think about
I just can’t get you out of my head
Boy it’s more than I dare to think about

La la la
La la la la la

I just can’t get you out of my head
Boy your loving is all I think about
I just can’t get you out of my head
Boy it’s more than I dare to think about

Every night
Every day
Just to be there in your arms

Won’t you stay
Won’t you lay
Stay forever and ever and ever and ever

La la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la la la la

I just can’t get you out of my head
Boy your loving is all I think about
I just can’t get you out of my head
Boy it’s more than I dare to think about

There’s a dark secret in me
Don’t leave me locked in your heart

Set me free
Feel the need in me
Set me free
Stay forever and ever and ever and ever

La la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la la la la

I just can’t get you out of my head
I just can’t get you out of my head
I just can’t get you out of my head...


Can't Get You Out Of My Head Wikipedia entry

4 comments:

  1. OMG Love this post!!! Fantastic tribute! xoxoMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, dear - have a great weekend! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I agree about your comments on the Coldplay cover.

    Tori Amos did a beautiful live cover some years ago. But I agree - nothing will ever surpass the original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do not understand the attraction of Coldplay... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]