Wednesday 7 September 2011

Got bottle, I'm gonna use it



Happy 60th birthday today to the one and only Chrissie Hynde!

Possibly the nearest thing that Akron, Ohio ever had to what we know as a "punk", Miss Hynde moved herself lock, stock and barrel to the UK in the 1970s, worked on the NME, hung around with Malcolm McLaren, Vivienne Westwood and the Sex Pistols, was a mate of Mick Jones of the Clash, formed a band called "The Moors Murderers" with Steve Strange, and finally founded The Pretenders in 1978.

The rest, as they say, is history - and with this song they very nearly conquered the world in 1979...


Got brass in pocket
Got bottle, I'm gonna use it
Intention, I feel inventive
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

Got motion, restrained emotion
Been driving, Detroit leaning
No reason, just seems so pleasing
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

Gonna use my arms
Gonna use my legs
Gonna use my style
Gonna use my sidestep
Gonna use my fingers
Gonna use my, my, my imagination

'Cause I'm gonna make you see
There's nobody else here
No one like me
I'm special, so special
I gotta have some of your attention, give it to me

Got rhythm, I can't miss a beat
Got new skank, it's so reet
Got something, I'm winking at you
Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

Gonna use my arms
Gonna use my legs
Gonna use my style
Gonna use my sidestep
Gonna use my fingers
Gonna use my, my, my imagination

'Cause I'm gonna make you see
There's nobody else here
No one like me
I'm special, so special
I gotta have some of your attention
Give it to me

'Cause I'm gonna make you see
There's nobody else here
No one like me
I'm special, so special
I gotta have some of your attention
Give it to me!


Miss Hynde, having survived the deaths and departures of the rest of the original band, and ill-fated relationships with Ray Davies of The Kinks and Jim Kerr of Simple Minds, nowadays still performs (with new musicians) as The Pretenders as well as running a vegan restaurant business. Gawd bless her!

http://www.thepretenders.com/

4 comments:

  1. I didnt realise she was this old. Happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All our "punk" divas are getting older, dear - Debbie Harry is 66, Lene Lovich is 62, Hazel O'Connor is 56, as is Nina Hagen, Siouxsie Sioux is 54 and Toyah is 53! Oo-er... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you run off that list of artists I first started listening to 30 years ago this year it does make me feel old … Madonna is 53 too.

    Age doesn't stop the ladies though - Blondie with a new album this year, Madge going into the studio later this year and Toyah just launching new single Fallen.

    PS John Grant with Midlake was amazing, I went alone and luckily met the couple I sat next to at Myra DuBois show last month xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love and dmire every one of the ladies on that list (and Madge too, of course!). Age has no bearing on that rare thing called "talent" - my feelings on some of the younger generation of "artistes" is well-documented.

    As well as Debbie and Toyah, Nina Hagen has recently carved herself a career singing at the head of a big band, and we've started collecting her back catalogue of swing music this year. Long may they reign! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]