Wednesday 17 August 2011

Little Eydie



It was the 80th birthday yesterday of the lovely Miss Eydie Gormé!

Famous for her musical double-act with husband Steve Lawrence (also happily still alive), Miss Gormé was briefly during the 60s one of America's most successful "girlie singers" (a genre popular both sides of the Atlantic at the time), with hits such as Blame It on the Bossa Nova, Yes, My Darling Daughter and I Want To Stay Here.

Her Latin roots led to a hugely successful career in the Spanish-speaking world (where in my opinion she made some of her best music), and as half of the duo "Steve and Eydie" Miss Gormé continued to enjoy commercial and cabaret circuit success for several decades (although she remained a fleeting memory over here in the UK) before finally retiring in 2009.

Many happy returns to a lady whose music has always made me feel good...


Eydie Gormé official website

2 comments:

  1. something tells me edalah ain't so little anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote the wonderful Velma Von Tussle from original film 'Hairspray'

    ' I love, Eydie Gormé '

    xx

    t

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]