Thursday 21 July 2011

A Classic Vintage



It's not often I come across something so utterly joyful as this!

As London's Southbank Centre prepares to welcome the Vintage Festival, which takes place next weekend (29th to 31st July 2011), so I have discovered this mammoth audio project by the DJ credited with championing House Music in the UK (and former resident at Manchester's Hacienda club), Graeme Park.

It may well be almost 80 minutes long, but heavens above, it is worth it! Enjoy A Vintage Timeline:

A Vintage Timeline Mix by Six Million Steps by Vintage Festival

Tracks featured:

Nappy Brown – Don’t You Be Angry
Bobbettes – Mr Lee
Laurel Aitken – Boogie In My Bones
Doris Troy – Just One Look
Billy Larkin & The Delegates – Pygmy Pt 2
Hattie Littles – Love, Trouble, Heartache & Misery
The Boxtops – The Letter
Led Zeppelin – Whole Lotta Love
Norman Greenbaum / Symarip – Spirit In The Sky / Skinhead Moonstomp (6MS Instrumental / Mash Up Edit)
Horace Faith – Black Pearl
Dean Parrish – I’m On My Way
Cimarons – Wicki Wacki
Banbarra – Shack Up
The Modulations – Can’t Fight Your Love
Chanson – Don’t Hold Back
The Clash – Train In Vain
The Korgi’s – Everybody’s Got To Learn Sometimes
Laidback V Tom Tom Club – Wordy Rappin’ Horse (6MS Edit)
Tone Loc – Wild Thing
Gary Numan – Cars
Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams
Heaven 17 – Penthouse & Pavement
T-Coy – Carino
Grandmaster Flash & Melle – White Lines (Dj Pogo & Cutmaster Swift Remix)
Ll Cool J – Phenomenon
Blondie – Rapture (6MS Edit)
Ron Hall & The Muthafunkas – I Love The Way You Love Me
The Simpsons – Funny How Time Slips Away

If I had the money I would be going to the festival itself - starring as it does Claudia Brücken (Propaganda) and Paul Humphreys (OMD), Heaven 17 and Thomas Dolby on Friday; Percy Sledge, Booker T, Jimmy James and Gwen Dickie (Rose Royce) on Saturday; and Sandie Shaw, Adam Ant, 10cc, David Mc Almont and Linda Lewis on Sunday - but we may well have to satisfy ourselves with just taking a peek at the Vintage Marketplace...

The Vintage Festival



STOP PRESS: The playlist has gone! See my Vintage Festival blog...

4 comments:

  1. Oh my - I would probably go for Claudia alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame it is so bloody expensive, otherwise I would be there - but at £70 a day, I think not... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tickets are expensive and I don't want to go alone - I would probably opt for the Sunday.

    We should go along to the free Vintage market …

    xx

    Listening to the sound collage now ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The market is a definite - I will try and round up the troops to go and have a rummage through the clothes stalls... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]