Wednesday 5 August 2009

All I know is that to me, you look like you're havin' fun



In the middle of our countdown to Amsterdam, I just had to wish many happy returns to the singular genius that is Pete Burns who celebrates(?) his 50th birthday today! Heavens... So to mark this significant moment, here are just a few of my personal favourites from his tumultuous career:

I went wild when I first heard this song way back in 1984 (when I was still slowly edging my way out of the closet). Having known of Pete from his early days with his blood red contact lenses as part of "Nightmares in Wax" (thanks to the saintly John Peel), this was a true departure into the world of dance music. Twisted dance music, naturally. It suited my "coming-out" summer perfectly...


Evidently, however, I was not alone in getting excited about the fantabulosa image and sound that Mr Burns and the boys had created. A collaboration with Stock Aitken & Waterman was inevitable in the mid-1980s - and this fantastic song launched the notorious megastar we love today upon an unsuspecting world (and on the gay club dancefloor of Cardiff), thank goodness!


Much more recently (after a lot of changes in Pete's eccentric life, including superstardom in Japan and a slow decline into the tabloid gossip columns), there came this collaboration with another pair of musical talents who are always ahead of the game. Another of my favourites!


Happy birthday to a true icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]