Tuesday 10 March 2009

Those who came before me lived through their vocations



I was watching Sky Arts' Songbook featuring Bernard Sumner (of Joy Division and New Order fame) last night, and the interviewer asked where the inspiration for the biggest-selling 12" single of all time Blue Monday came from.

Well, apparently the whole thing was conceived during New Order's first tour as a band after Ian Curtis' suicide and the end of Joy Division, and pays its dues to the influence of the electro gay disco being played in New York in the early 80s.

Take a slice of this:


Mix liberally with a bit of this:


And some of this:


And add a little of this:


And you get this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]